Monday, May 7, 2012

For The Love Of The Game

My love for basketball can be traced all the way back to my pre-teen years. My sister and I were fond of collecting NBA cards back then. Our favorite NBA player before was Grant Hill, we would spend most of our savings buying anything about him. I remember, I even had a huge poster of him courtesy of Sprite. We would always watch NBA games on TV and we witnessed how Michael Jordan ruled the most famous sports in the world.

I grew up in a neighborhood where boys outnumbered the girls. So I would be playing with the boys most of the time since I don't really like girly games. One of my childhood friends has a brother who is into basketball a lot and that's where I started to love the game. I always go with him whenever he's playing in our basketball  court.

Then I began playing the sport with my guy friends. We would play even under the heat of the sun. What made me hooked to it even more was the fact that I defeated them most of the time. Back then, I spent most of my afternoon playing or watching street basketball.

When I was already in high school, my mother would not allow me to play anymore because girls are not supposed to be playing that kind of sport. So to keep me from missing my favorite sport, I made sure that I will be able to watch NBA games whenever I can. When Grant Hill's career was slowing down and  with the retirement of Michael Jordan, the NBA for me was getting less exciting. So my addiction to PBA started!

Again, my sister and I were huge fans of Purefoods and it's captain ball Alvin Patrimonio. They were under the name of Coney Island that time. We would shout our lungs out in every game. We were so crazy back then with Alvin Patrimonio and the gang. We're the happiest sisters in the world every time they win a championship.

Then came the entry of Mobiline Phone Pals. I just knew that this will be the new team that I will be rooting for.

To be continued.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment